Always Working Towards Advancing Recovery Environments (AWARE)
A project of the California Association of Alcohol and Drug Program Executives, Inc. (CAADPE)
Mission: To empower and encourage the recovery community, including their families and significant others and to contribute to and actively participate in public dialogue about alcohol and other substance use disorder treatment services.
AWARE is a statewide self-advocacy program which includes those who are in treatment, those who are in recovery and the family members and significant others of those pursuing treatment and recovery. Through AWARE, individuals have the opportunity to share their personal and collective experiences of substance use disorder (SUD) treatment and recovery with policy makers and the community at large. AWARE offers a range of strategies to distribute, collect and analyze information that is important to the recovery community. Self-advocacy activities are available to multiple treatment agencies and individuals in the recovery community throughout the state of California. AWARE is unique in that it is the only
consumer advocacy program designed
for use in treatment settings as a vital
component of the treatment process.
Prevention and treatment works, saves lives, and costs less:
Millions of people are in recovery from addiction and leading productive lives. $7 is saved in medical and societal costs for every dollar invested in treatment.
For every dollar spent on alcohol and drug prevention, communities can save $4 to $5 in future costs for treatment and counseling.
1. Recovery Community Support staff assistance in organizing legislative visits to your treatment center.
2. Individuals in recovery with the opportunity to provide input to policy makers and legislators about alcohol and other substances through personal accounts and statistical evidence on the importance of recovery.
3. Individuals in recovery an opportunity to educate the public by providing positive, accurate accounts of recovery and treatment.
4. A chance to attend an Annual Self Advocacy Conference in Northern and Southern California and meet with others in recovery, policy making, and legislatation.
5. An opportunity to give back to the local community by providing a voice for the recovery community, and in turn, strengthening the community!!
Benefits of AWARE membership include:
- Access to policy makers and the community at large to provide input on alcohol and other drug related issues through surveys, personal testimony, and focus groups.
- Participation in Annual Self-Advocacy Conferences.
- Community Advocacy Training
- The opportunity to be part of the greater recovering community!
- AWARE Handbook
Call: Jennifer Cassulo, 916-329-7409
Call: Barbara Spille, 818-996-1051 ext. 1187
Ken Seldon, 818-985-8323